A slightly delayed update this week.
B854782 has been moved from Quorn to the Loco shed at Loughborough for welding.
With the Shock van away our attention turns to B954268 which had started to look very work worn. With staging erected the task of sanding down the body began, being a brake van with verandas the amount of body work is quite substantial when compared to that of a box van. Nick, Ross and Jake with sanders and scrappers in hand set to work. Each time someone climbed onto the ballast ends Nick used his new catchphrase “Mind the lamp irons”, these are of cause set at head height when working on the extreme ends and can cause very nasty injuries if contacted with some force. Fortunately thanks to the constant warnings no injuries occurred.
I went back to P18422, as a Ministry of Supply ordered vehicle this would have carried a registry plate and the position of this is clearly visible so using our “patented” anti theft plates I duly applied them.
Once complete I joined the main work on the brakevan and began cutting out areas of rot on the body sides, as the majority of the boarding is solid we replaced only those areas that are affected, as a reminder we do not restore vehicles at Quorn we repair them using modern materials and techniques. With such a large fleet and a small pool of manpower and resources it would be impractical for us to carry out full overhauls on every vehicle every time when a simple repair will add years to its service.
Once areas were repaired Masking was applied to all the windows in preparation for painting.
Half way through the weekend we had the vehicle body work sanded, masked for painting, body repairs carried out and wood primer applied to those areas requiring it.
As Ross applied the undercoat, Nick and Jake started assessment of the Southend veranda floor this has suffered badly from wood rot and the rotten boards were removed.
The vehicle will be finished in post 1964 livery and as such will require overhead line warning stickers and with the other works going on I took the opportunity to prepare them. We have in stock OLE stickers and these I applied to stainless steel backing plates and drilled in preparation for fitment.
The hard work was of course broken up with the mandatory railway requirement of Tea, drunk from our new QWW mugs in the glorious sunshine of the bank holiday as we watched the trains go by, If you was on the railway this weekend then this is the position you would likely have seen us in, Thank you to Andrew Morley, Quorn Signalman for the image of us enjoying the weather.
Final day and the final top coat to the body. This includes the Ballast surrounds on each end of the vehicle, Originally black was applied but as we are going for the later livery each works began to show a preference for whether these were indeed black or body colour, on this occasion the boss has decided body colour.
Finishing touches, inside and underframe are planned for this coming weekend as the rest of the railway goes back to the 1940s.