Work continues on M730562, the replacement wood has been ordered and is due in the week, in preparation Nick and Jake have been removing the life-expired planks.
Unfortunately, one of the bolts on the west side was located behind the boarding beside the internal locker. So my first task was to cut and manufacture an access hatch as this will be a reoccurring issue.
Once complete my attention was turned to the seat backs for the Guard. I removed the old layers of upholstery. This exposed the frame which required some repair and reinforcing.
Both the east and west side were repaired and trial fitted
Of interest are the layers of upholstery removed, unfortunately, none dating back as far as the LMS. How do we know? The first layer above the base horsehair is clearly marked with its manufacturer this, of course, being British Railways. Successive layers having the British Rail Double Arrow logo on the reverse.
Sunday continued with Nick and Jake removing life expired planks as well as re-securing all of the internal planking which has detached from the floor due to worn fasteners.
Ross and I started to upholster the Guards seats continuing the work I began Saturday, Foam and vinyl was cut to size. The vinyl matches that applied to the vehicle during BR usage. The vinyl was sewn into a box shape to fit over the foam backing and stapled into position.
Once the seat backs were completed a base for each seat was created and foam and vinyl covers again manufactured and sewn. The seat backs were trial fitted but not fitted fully.
The seats were then also trial fitted although again not fully fitted, this will be done once all internal and external work is complete. The vinyl will be affixed to the seat base hence its baggy appearance. As a trial, we began planning the side cushioning for the seat sides.
The final task was the replacement of the Starter motor in Nicks van, this is vital as this is the vehicle required to collect the wood for next weekends tasks.