16/09/18. Well well well, time for a break or is that a brake?

This week has been full of activity for us. It all began on Monday with a Timeline Events / EMRPS photochater using the vans with visiting Warship D832 “Onslaught”

The 10th and 11th November sees the GCR commemorate 100 years since the end of the First World War. As part of this, the GCR is assembling a train of appropriate vehicles of either age or type. The first from our collection to see attention for this commemorative train is M300356, this vehicle, a Well Trolley (Weltrol) was built in 1913 by the Caledonian Railway and is being returned to CR livery.

greatwargreatcentralposter

Tuesday – Friday saw the vehicle’s coating of Bitumin removed, this was quite a labour intensive task, Ross and I were helped by Jack Shaw (Great War event organiser) and Andrew Devine (Quorn & Woodhouse station foreman) We managed to completely stip the sides of the vehicle. Unfortunately, the rain stopped play Friday and we only managed to Red Oxide the East side.

Glimmers of the vehicles past life became visible as the layers of paint were removed. Visible in the image below, flecks of Brick Red paint, the CR wagon livery we shall be applying. Also visible the thick layer of bitumen that had to be removed.

20180914_152811

Saturday and a visit to the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Steam Railway after an invite to view the Carriage and Wagon Works at Winchcombe. It’s always nice to see how other establishments operate and to build a relationship that is mutually beneficial for all. In fact, this visit saw us deliver a BR Brakevan brake cross shaft needed for the refitment of the vacuum brake system to a vehicle on the GWSR. Our thanks go to Richard Stone and the other members of the GWSR C&W team for your time, patience and hospitality.

It was also nice to see GWSR’s latest wagon project, a BR built china clay wagon.20180915_111449

We also got to see Thomas the Tank Engine and a few of his friends

Back to the grind on Sunday and S56010. I completed the interior trim and turned my attention to the main cabin doors.  Over the life of the vehicle these have become worn so much so that the door is essentially planing the floor.   The top hinges were removed and moved up to attain the correct clearance at the bottom.

Jake and Nick continued removing rust from the veranda ends and red oxiding when back to solid metal.

Ross installed a new lock to increase the security of the vehicle.

Final job for the weekend was the Red Oxiding of the west side of 300356 and first gloss on the East side and buffer beams.  The red brick does seem very close to Bauxite although there is a slightly deeper red tinge.