04/11/2018 – I’ve put the stove on, time for a sit down.

Work at Quorn Wagon & Wagon continues on the SR brake (S56010), and preparation work carries on for Great War, Great Central with Matt working on the ‘re-branding’ of the O4.

Saturday saw Jake painting the veranda ceilings in white gloss to match the BR and the LMS brake (B954268 and M730562), whilst Nick and I dealt with a misbehaving heater and extension cable in the mess coach.  After Tea, Nick and I cut out the seating boards ready for upholstering. Matt spent the day cutting letters out of magnetic sheet for the Great War, Great Central event, once they had been cut out, he painted them in gloss white.

Back to the brake van on Sunday with Nick, Jake and I put a 2nd coat of white on both veranda ceilings,  the ‘so called’ one coat paint had failed us!  Turns out the verandas aren’t really meant for 3, which resulted in much hilarity. Surprisingly, neither of the three of us got covered in any white paint. Once the mandatory tea had been consumed, Nick and Matt went to a local farm to retrieve an eBay purchase: a brake van stove, base and stove pipe! We have been planning to refit a stove in the SR brake since its rebuild started. the stove is something that has been missing for some time, and got so far as having the base plate in. The eBay purchase finishes of the puzzle.

The stove was first de-scaled internally and externally, with some grinding taking place on the flue outlet so that the pipe would fit over. The stove was then fitted in the van, and using a highly accurate piece of wood, we began marking out the hole for the stove pipe for exit the roof of the van.

Drawing round the piece of wood, and then joining the diagonal corners and the resulting square gave us a x to aim for. Matt then drilled through the roof in the middle of the x to transfer the mark from inside to outside of the van.

Using the casting that holds the pipe, a circle was drawn around the drilled hole which was then cut out using a jigsaw.


Having now descending from the van, Nick and Matt then cut a similar hole in some insulation material and a steel sheet to protect the roof boards from the heat of the stove pipe.

The assembly was then taken to the roof and clamped into position to allow through bolt holes to be drilled to fix the casting, insulation and steel sheet to the roof. This was then sealed with mastic. The stove pipe we received with the stove was too small for the casting on the roof, and the cast iron stove pipe we had in store was too short to be able to be used. We decided to use a section of the cast iron pipe as a sleeve for the smaller steel stove pipe. We positioned the cast stove pipe so we could mark it for cutting. Having cut that down and putting it in position, Matt then carefully threaded the steel flue tube through the cast pipe and up onto the roof. to finish the job, Matt came up on the roof with the angle grinder (and some lights) to trim the pipe down to match the length of the cast pipe.

The finished result below. Alas we couldn’t light the stove this weekend, as it had got too late, but at some point next weekend the stove will have a ceremonial first lighting.

Whilst Nick and Matt worked on the stove fitting, I spent some time with my sewing machine building up a seat for the west side ducket. This was a pain to fit back into the ducket, so I am looking to review the assembly method so see if I can make it fit easier. It is at least comfortable and looks good.

Thanks for reading, and join us again for next week’s update.

Author: Ross Loades

Wagon Basher and Systems Engineer in the Rail Industry

%d bloggers like this: