06/01/2019 – Hoodwinked

Hello everyone, and welcome to another update from Quorn Wagon & Wagon.  This weekend started with Nick, Jake and I continuing to manufacture the sheet hoops for the reversal of the Dace conversion. Unfortunately, Matt had to work, but popped in after his shift had finished.

On Monday,  Nick and Matt had manufactured the upright sections of the sheet hoops, which only left the horizontal sections which Nick and I manufactured and fitted today. The steel tubes we had rescued were in 11ft sections with a foot on one end. The foot was cut off with the angle grinder, and the end dressed. To join the bars, Nick had found some surplus steel pipe at Rothley to act as an internal sleeve. These sleeves were cut to length and ‘gently’ persuaded into the hoop tubes. We decided we should bolt the sleeves together to prevent the internal sleeves sliding into the outer hoop tube when assembled.

Whilst Nick and I were playing with hoops, Jake continued priming the chassis of the Medfit.

20190106_123016

Once completed he assisted Nick and me with fitting horizontals to the hoops irons. Before lunch, the top hoop was assembled and fitted to the wagon. Jake had to go to fill his face at a friend’s birthday party, and Nick and I went to assist the Ops Team/Carriage & Wagon by removing a TSO requiring repairs from the passenger train using Rothley’s resident Class 10.

Upon returning, we continued assembling the two side hoops. Matt arrived while the last joint was sliding together on the final hoop. We had a swift cup of tea and set about positioning the hoops as they would be under the sheet ready for Matt, Nick, and Jake to finalise and fix the positions tomorrow. Matt will continue the report tomorrow as I have to pilot a misbehaving car back home.

On to Sunday and Jake moved back to the Palbrick, clearing out and tidying the drag boxes.  These were full of rust, moss and detritus.

Nick and I (Matt) continued with the Shookhood hood bars.  Looking at images of this type of vehicle from the 60s and 70s it’s clear their long length posed a few issues. Many are not level and a fair few are sagging in the middle.  As this vehicle is for demonstration purposes we have taken the decision to support the bars at strategic locations to maintain the level and prevent sagging once the hood is fitted. The supports were bolted to the steel floor.

Once the sheet has been made and fitted these supports will no longer be seen and as the vehicle travels the railway the bars will remain in a fixed location.

Any protruding item that would risk rubbing and wearing down the sheet was trimmed, and the all-important measurements were taken to have the fitted hood manufactured.

Ordering the sheet is my task for the week and by next weekend hopefully that order will have been placed.  we shall see what next weekend brings……………….