29/05/22 – Painting in Numbers

Good evening all, and welcome to this week’s update from Quorn. Dave has been attending to a BRUTE, Nick and I have repainted the west side of 2 vans, and Matt has sorted out the west side bearing end caps on the Bolster.

Nick and I started preparing the 2 selected vans, B852838 and B854782. Scraping the frame work and giving the previously glossed woodwork a key.

Dave set to work upon QW1282, attacking it with a brush cup on an angle grinder. Later some degreaser was used on the base to remove the caked on stuff that was there.

A brief interlude for me saw Dave and I repair a small MIG welder we had been donated in order to repair some of the mesh on the BRUTE. Admittedly with both need some more practise, but there is now more meshing attach than when the BRUTE arrived so that can be classed as a win!

Dave got to applying the primer, whereas I rejoined Nick to start painting the very familiar purple/red shade of undercoat to the two vans mentioned.

By the end of Saturday, Dave had finished priming the BRUTE and Nick and I had finsihed undercoating both vans. Sunday saw Matt join us after a work doo on Saturday. My first job on Sunday was to fit a new radio in Jerry, to be a much more period appropriate looking item. Jerry then went to join some other younger Fords in the main yard.

Matt sorted out the end caps on the Bolster, masking, keying and applying the red band to the caps. We are led to believe that the red band denotes that lithium based grease is used in the bearing.

Before starting the Bolster, Matt mixed up a further batch of paint for the second BRUTE which Dave started applying.

Nick and I applied the gloss coat to the shock vans, starting with B852838. We finished the day by applying a layer of undercoat to the next van, B780282. Between them, Dave and Matt had the Brute finished and with the other it really does look splendid!

Thanks for reading, and join us again on Sunday to see what we get up to!

Author: Ross Loades

Wagon Basher and Systems Engineer in the Rail Industry

6 thoughts on “29/05/22 – Painting in Numbers”

  1. An amazing amount of work carried out again – just shows how much you get through when the weather allows. BRUTES looking good in their blue.

    Like

  2. Hi Ross, I have been “googling” but can’t seem to find an explanation for the letter “D” after the word Bolster. I believe the letters A to E are also used to denote something. Any information would be interesting.
    Many thanks…

    Like

    1. Morning Dave, the A to E designation was used widely, not just on Bolsters, but other wagons as well. It was used to denote different variants be that capacity or length, to make it easier to communicate over telegraph/telephone to say that was the variant required due to the load requested by the customer.

      Other examples are Conflats, A, B and L to name a few..

      Like

      1. Does that mean the letter indicates the type of load the wagon is designed to carry.

        Like

      2. Not necessarily, it was just a way of easily showing different lengths of Bolster wagon and therefore the load they could carry.

        Within reason they could carry anything so long as it fits with in the loading gauge and the confines of the wagon. Latterly a common sight was Bolster Ds carrying 60ft lengths of rail, a load that necessitated small wagons like lowfits, single bolsters or Conflats to use as ‘runner’ wagons.

        Like

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: